Severn Township

Overview

Severn Township is commonly known as Ontario’s lake country in Orillia as it is situated adjacent to the City of Orillia and bounded by Lake Couchiching to the east, the Severn River to the north, Georgian Bay to the west and Bass Lake to the south. This recreational setting allows for numerous year-round activities with a wide range of services.

Rural and urban settlements such as Coldwater, Washago, Port Severn, Severn Falls and Marchmont provide an atmosphere of comfort and relaxation all year round.

There are a variety of both summer and winter activities for residents to enjoy, from skiing and biking to fishing and various watersports. A fantastic community that anyone would be proud to call home!

Recreation

The township of Severn offers numerous activities during the winter like A breath of Fresh Air Outdoor Sports, Cottage Country Tours, Hardwood Ski and Bike, the Horseshoe Resort, KS Simcoe Ice Hut Rental, Mount St. Louis Moonstone Ski Resort just to name a few.

Summer outdoor activities can be enjoyed at the beaches and parks, trails, paddling, golfing, cycling, kid’s camps, Agricultural & Eco Tourism, Water sports, Marinas, Fishing, Boating & Boat tours and boat launches.

There is a lot of historic, arts and cultural sites with folk festivals, museums and opera houses. There are various hotels and resorts to stay in and restaurants to enjoy local cuisines. Nightlife is also quite vibrant at Severn Township.

History

Severn was first inhabited by Chief John Aisance and his band of Chippewas in the 1830s along Coldwater river building a grist mill that natives owned till 1849. Coldwater opened to the Europeans in 1836.

At the mouth of the Severn River, another community sprang up. The residents called it Severn Mills after a sawmill was built there around 1850. Lumber from this area was sent out on ships. The village was renamed to Port Severn in 1868. In 1875, the Georgian Bay Lumber Co. was formed, soon to become the major lumber producer in the Severn River watershed.

The settlement expanded rapidly over the next 20 years. In 1896, the mill was struck by lightning and burned to the ground greatly reducing the timber supply since was not rebuilt and the population declined. Severin was incorporated into a village in 1908. With the completion of the Trent–Severn Waterway in this area in 1915, economic activity shifted from lumber to tourism.

Information on this page was gathered or written by Homeania or contributors to Homeania. Homeania can not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided, and reproduction of this material without express consent is prohibited

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright © 2017 Homeania Corporation. All rights reserved.