Oxford County

Overview

Oxford County represents the best of both worlds: urban communities full of life, entertainment, and commerce; and, rural areas that are rich in natural resources, history, and farming communities. Located in the heart of Southwestern Ontario, it is home to several thriving communities. As a highly accessible location, with first rate transportation routes, it has eight area municipalities that are fit for your business and your life.

Recreation

There are a lot of activities to participate in, to tour and enjoy. For the art enthusiast, there are museums, libraries as well as archives. Various places to stay at from the array of hotels, motels and even an inn, to friendly bed and breakfast hosts and campgrounds.

For sports and recreation there are flight days, summer camp, annual charity bonspiel, Arthur tract, Avon Trail, Bowmaster Archery and Golfshack, various parks, and Catfish Creek conservation authority just to name a few.

There are numerous restaurants to enjoy the local cuisines. Some of the attractions on offer include the Annandale National Historic site, Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association, Ci-Nick Acres Horse Drawn Wagon & Sleigh Rides, Deer Ridge Farm and the District 5 and Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs.

History

In 1788, the Hesse District was established within Upper Canada covering the territory of what is today southwestern Ontario. Four years later it became the Western District with the establishment of Norfolk County which included the territory of present-day Oxford County. The Brock District, containing the Oxford County territory, was then split off from the London District in 1840, after Upper Canada had been replaced by the Canada West portion of the Province of Canada governance. The boundaries for most of its existence were established in 1850 with the implementation of the Baldwin Act. On 1 January 1975, major revisions to Oxford County's structure took effect when the townships were reduced to the current five under an amalgamation. Three urban municipalities also remained, namely Ingersoll, Tillsonburg and Woodstock. Today's county boundaries also show slight adjustments to include the urban areas of Tavistock in the north and of Tillsonburg in the south.

Information on this page was gathered or written by Homeania or contributors to Homeania. Homeania can not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided, and reproduction of this material without express consent is prohibited

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright © 2017 Homeania Corporation. All rights reserved.