Salmon Arm is the economic hub of Shuswap Lakes region and is a four-season tourist destination. Visitors are invited to Salmon Arm through the rolling farmland, forested highlands and mountains as a hint to the attractions on offer. Some of the outdoor activities available are bird watching, water activities, golf, hiking, cycling, winter activities, agri-tourism, history and the arts. Salmon Arm is on the shores of Shuswap Lake and is home to the longest wooden wharf in North America. Salmon Arm has always maintained the spirit of a small agricultural town from its roots that is community minded and welcoming to visitors.
Shuswap Lake offers a lot of recreational activities with 20 provincial parks on its shores including numerous water-related recreational opportunities. The surrounding mountains provide trails for cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, mountain biking and hiking. Salmon Arm provides parks, playgrounds, tennis courts, golf courses, the SASCU Recreation Centre with an indoor swimming pool and full-size gym/auditorium, The Saw Centre with two full-sized ice rinks and numerous other sports and fitness options. For art and culture there are restored heritage buildings at RJ Haney Heritage Park, The Salmon Arm Fall Fair since 1897, The Salmon Bay Nature Enhancement Area for wildlife viewing. Salmon Arm culture are presented throughout the year with theatre presentations, art shows and music performances from symphony to folk.
Little is known about Salmon Arm before the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1885 but five years after residents obtained a post office and by the end of the 1890s had a general store, school and hotel and a population 200. Salmon Arm gained a reputation of excellent fruit harvest by 1904 and in May 1905, a formal government was started based on citizen requests tasked with road building and repair. By 1912 Salmon was upgraded into a city that funded the need for roads and water systems were established in 1914. Salmon Arm got electricity in 1913 and got its first diesel engine in 1928 to join the West Canadian Hydro-electric company grid. In 1951, The Duke and Duchess of Edinburg Prince Philip and the Princess Elizabeth visited Salmon Arm while on royal tour of Canada.
Information on this page was gathered or written by Homeania or contributors to Homeania. Homeania can not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided, and reproduction of this material without express consent is prohibited